13:09, 10.Jan 2016
A spark from a welding machine on Sunday morning caused a fire outbreak which destroyed two shops at the Tamale Central Market.
The cost of the destruction is said to run into thousands of cedis. There were no casualties recorded.
One of the shop owners, who could not bear to see the damage to her shop, collapsed at the scene and was rushed to the Tamale Teaching Hospital (TTH).
The Northern Regional Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), Mr Paul Opoku Aikins, told the Daily Graphic that the fire started between 8.30 a.m. and 9 a.m.
He said it took two fire engines to completely put out the fire that engulfed the shops.
The officer added that the fire did not spread to the adjoining shops.
Mr Aikins stated that a spark from a welder working on one of the gates of the two shops started the fire.
He mentioned that even though one of the welders claimed to have noticed smoke emanating from the shop, they could not do anything about it because it was locked.
"Initially, a fire appliance was sent to the scene from the Metro Fire command after the distress call, but we had to call in another one from the regional command before we could put out the fire due to its intensity," the officer explained.
Mr Aikins said the welding machine used by the welders was in the custody of the executives of the market.
Source : graphic.com.gh